A classic dish and really easy to make, try this Spaghetti Bolognese recipe for a great, filling evening meal. Add a bit of Parmesan on the top to really finish it off nicely.
500g Minced Beef
1 chopped onion
180g chopped carrots
1 tbsp olive oil
2 chopped celery sticks
2 tins chopped tomatoes
large squirt of tomato puree
1 clove crushed garlic
2 beef stock cubes
2 bay leaves
400g dried spaghetti
150ml red wine
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the minced beef and cook until browned.
2. Add the onion, carrots, garlic and celery. Cook these until they are slightly soft, but make sure they do not brown.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, stock cubes made up with 150ml boiling water, wine and the bay leaves, stirring as you go.
4. Bring the heat down to a low level and cook until the carrots and celery are soft, this can take anything up to 1 hour 30 mins.
5. For a really rich flavour make sure you stir the sauce to break up the minced beef and the tomatoes, this can also be done with a potato masher if you wish. Take out the bay leaves just before serving.
6. Cook the spaghetti as per the instructions on the pack. Drain and serve with the bolognese sauce, garnish with parmesan cheese, and if you wish, some basil leaves.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 90 mins